Int’l experts urge Vietnam to build rice brand name

Experts from the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) on Wednesday prompted Vietnam to a rice brand name as soon as possible to increase the grain’s added value and farmers’ income.

Rice bags are loaded aboard for exports (Photo: SGGP)

At a seminar hosted by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and the Institute in Hanoi, IRRI said that Vietnam rice industry showed many limitations such as small scale rice fields and weak infrastructure for rice processing.
 
Especially, the country has no qualified laboratories for rice seed research and no rice brand name, they said.
 
They proposed Vietnam to conduct six groups of solutions including building a brand name for Vietnamese rice and creating high quality rice varieties by cross-breeding.
 
Dr. Matthew Morell, IRRI deputy director general, said that Vietnam has much potential for a high quality rice market. At present, 52 percent of fragrant rice is consumed in domestic market mainly in six big cities Can Tho, Da Nang, Hai Phong, Hanoi, Nha Trang and HCMC. The remaining 48 percent is for exports.

Rice harvest has been mechanized in the Mekong Delta (Photo: SGGP)

Vietnam has too many rice varieties. The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development should determine and inform farmers of preeminent varieties to broaden production.
 
IRRI director general Robert Zeigler said that right after the Vietnam Government decided a project on agricultural restructuring, the institute has sent its experts to the country to help improve the rice industry and income for Vietnamese farmers.
 
By 2020, IRRI will assist the ministry to start the commercial production of three high quality rice varieties and establish two rice seed laboratories.

By Phuc Hau – Translated by Hai Mien

Other news

Banking-finance

VNPT & SeABank cooperate to enhance connections

The Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications Group (VNPT) and SeABank just co-signed cooperation agreement, aiming to develop the two sides’ economic, business and investment potential.


Self - introduction

VNPT targets to be leading digital service provider in Vietnam

The grand opening ceremony of the VNPT-Information Technology Company (VNPT-IT), a new member of the Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications Group (VNPT), was held yesterday in Hanoi. With thousands of IT engineers and the focus on developing state-of-the-art technological products related to Artificial Intelligence (AI), Bigdata, and Blockchain, the new company is considered the main force to help VNPT fulfill the goal of becoming a leading digital service provider in Vietnam and an important Digital Hub of the neighborhood as well as the world.

Stock market

STK to issue 10.8million shares

The shareholders of Century Synthetic Fiber Corp (code: STK) have approved plan to issue 10.8 million shares.