HCMC sees decline in imports, exports in May

Latest data from the Ho Chi Minh City Statistics Office shows total exports at US$1.95 billion in May, a decrease of 1.1 percent compared to the same period last month while total imports at $1.76 billion, down 26 percent over the last month.

Excluding crude oil, export turnover reached around $1.35 billion, down 5.9 percent compared to that in April.

In the first five months of this year, exports in HCMC were estimated at $7.7 billion, an increase of 1.8 percent year-on-year, while imports were at $9.8 billion, an increase of 8.8 percent year-on-year, leaving a trade gap of $2.1 billion. However, foreign-invested sector still saw a trade surplus of more than $426 million.

Main export items included rice, seafood, clothes, and footwear. Imports were mainly milk, dairy products, petroleum, plastic, and fabrics.

Domestic sector accounted for 60 percent of total imports and exports, and foreign-invested sector accounted for the rest 40 percent.

By Bach Viet – Translated by Thuy Doan

Other news

Most view

Banking-finance

VNPT & SeABank cooperate to enhance connections

The Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications Group (VNPT) and SeABank just co-signed cooperation agreement, aiming to develop the two sides’ economic, business and investment potential.


Economy

Vocarimex plans to expand export markets

The Vietnam Vegetable Oil Industry Corporation -Vocarimex (code: VOC) has set its target the 2018 revenue will reach VND 4,8trillion, an increasing of 9 percent compared to 2017 and pre-tax profit target will be VND 300 billlion ($ 13 million), dividend payment ratio at 12 percent.

 

Self - introduction

VNPT targets to be leading digital service provider in Vietnam

The grand opening ceremony of the VNPT-Information Technology Company (VNPT-IT), a new member of the Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications Group (VNPT), was held yesterday in Hanoi. With thousands of IT engineers and the focus on developing state-of-the-art technological products related to Artificial Intelligence (AI), Bigdata, and Blockchain, the new company is considered the main force to help VNPT fulfill the goal of becoming a leading digital service provider in Vietnam and an important Digital Hub of the neighborhood as well as the world.

Stock market

BLF & LUT fined VND 145mln

The State Securities Commission of Vietnam (SSC) has just issued administrative fines worth VND 145 million to Bac Lieu Seafood Corp (BLF) and Luong Tai Investment & Construction Corp (LUT).