Ministry asks for concrete plan before approving mobile fee cuts

Two local mobile service providers will be allowed to reduce their rates as soon as they present reasonable plans, deputy Minister of Information and Telecommunications Le Nam Thang said July 5.

Mr. Thang was speaking about Vietnam Post and Telecommunications Group (VNPT) and the military-owned Viettel Group after they asked the ministry for permission to slash mobile service rates by 10-20 percent. He said the groups plans had to ensure that the cuts would not be too low.

However Mr. Thang also said that as of Monday afternoon, he had not yet received any specific plans about the fee cut from VNPT and Viettel.

Explaining why the two groups’ proposals to cut the fees in February had been rejected, Mr. Thang said that the ministry wanted them to focus on service quality during the Tet Festival (lunar New Year).

Two other mobile service providers, Vinaphone and MobiFone, have also said that they hope the ministry will allow them to cut the mobile service prices in the first half of July.

By Tran Binh – Translated by Hong Ha

Other news