The festival features religious rituals and communal activities such as Buddhist offerings, palanquin parades, love duet singing on boats, and folk games.
The Keo pagoda was founded in 1061. After it was swept away by a flood in 1611, the pagoda was rebuilt in 1632 and most of its architectural features, including 17 structures with 128 rooms, remain until today. In 2012, it was recognised as a national special relic site.
In addition to the autumn festival, another spring festival takes place here annually on the 4th day of the first lunar month.
The pagoda attracts more than 2,500 visitors to Thai Binh every year.