Acute Diarrhea Declines Sharply in North

The number of acute diarrhea and cholera patients has decreased sharply, but the disease persists in some areas due to poor management by local officials, said Dr. Nguyen Huy Nga, head of the Preventive Health Department of the Ministry of Health Sunday.

Acute diarrhea patients receiving treatment at a hospital in Ha Noi

An inspection of food safety and hygiene was conducted last month and 70 food stores and restaurants were ordered to close due to violations. However, most of the violators have since resumed doing business without the consent of the authorities.

The lack of local surveillance of food safety is a major factor contributing to the spread of the disease, said Dr. Tran Dang, head of the Vietnam Food Administration.

Dr. Dang blamed ineffective food safety management by local officials for the spread of acute diarrhea in Ha Noi and in neighboring Ha Tay Province, two areas badly hit by the disease.

Further inspections will be carried out this month to guarantee food safety and hygiene in these two areas, he added.

Summer travel may spread the disease as seemingly healthy people can be carrying the cholera virus. Some 259 healthy people with the cholera virus have been detected in Ha Noi, which is why the Ministry of Health has yet to announce that the outbreak is over.

In related news, 102 people in the Ha Tay Province were admitted Sunday to hospital for food poisoning after eating round sticky rice cake (banh day), bacon and pork pies containing Staphylococcus aureus, a dangerous virus responsible for many cases of food poisoning.

On May 1, it was reported that 102 patients were treated for food poisoning at a medical station after they attended a wedding reception. 

Related article:
Acute Diarrhea May Spread as Wet Season Sets in 

By staff writers – Translated by Khanh Hong

Other news