There is little risk for the deadly Ebola virus disease (EVD) to enter Vietnam, said a representative from the World Health Organization at a press conference held in Hanoi on August 12.
The press conference was held by the Ministry of Health to warn of the fatal disease that claimed more than 960 lives in West Africa so far this year. WHO’s Representative Dr. Masaya Kato said that it is impossible the deadly Ebola virus disease to penetrate into Vietnam as transmission of the disease is via close contact with infected patients or animal.
Yet the country has had no case and prepared all things to prevent the disease as well as warn people not to travel to Ebola-hit nations, he said.
Dr. Masaya Kato advised media to release enough information for prevention but not to cause public concern.
On other side, Dr. Masaya Kato said that there is no available vaccine against the disease caused by Ebola virus so far.
More worrisome, both children and adult can be affected by the virus. In addition, the disease is transmitted from mothers to children through breast milk.
Dr. Tran Dac Phu, who heads the Ministry’s Preventive Medicine Center, confirmed that the country has had no case of Ebola virus disease like news published by an online newspaper.
The disease caused by Ebola virus is really dangerous; therefore, the Ministry will publicize all precise information so that people could understand the seriousness to actively prevent it, he said.
The Ministry has coordinated with other ministries to adopt plans as well as enhance supervision at international airports and border gates. Hospitals in large cities were appointed to receive infected people.
The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism sent its dispatch to municipal and principal people’s committees asking to implement preventive measures to protect holidaymakers’ and staffs’ health as a four day vacation on the Independence Day is coming.
The Ministry has also asked tourism operators not to organize trips to Ebola-hit regions.