The Department of Food Safety in the central province of Quang Tri and police officers yesterday took more fish from a batch of 30 tons of Phenol contaminated frozen mackerel scads for testing
The frozen fish were found contaminated with phenol last week and reported to the province People Committee by the province Health Department.
The batches were sealed on June 11. Inspectors divided the batches into five parts and took five samples each 1.5 kilogram for testing. Testing will be carried out in standard laboratories. Before, authority in Quang Tri Province has taken samples aquatic products in the province.
The batches of 30 tons of frozen mackerel scads were reportedly bought by store's owner Le Thi Thuoc soon after fish began to die on mass in the central region.
Phenol, or carbolic acid, is primarily used to synthesize plastics and related materials. The substance may cause harmful effects on the central nervous system, heart, liver and kidney, resulting in dysrhythmia, seizures and coma.