The Ministry of Health December 22 announced ten typical events of the health sector in 2016
Most of events are related to treatment, vaccine production and medical insurance.
1- First surrogate baby was born by C-section, also known as cesarean delivery on January 22 in the National Hospital of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Hanoi. The birth of the very first surrogate baby in Vietnam is a significant milestone for the health sector.
In March 2015, Vietnam legalized surrogate pregnancy as it revised the Law on Marriage and Family.
|Binh Dan Hospital, the first hospital in the country, applies Robot-assisted surgery for adults. This is one of ten top event in the health sector in 2016 (Photo: SGGP)|
2- Synchronous implementation of measures aims to satisfy patients including changing medical workers’ behaviors, building new facilities and managing outside services provided for hospital.
3- Vietnam scientists succeeded in making measles-rubella vaccine on November 8. The Center for Research and Production of Vaccines and Biology under the Ministry of Health announced the successful test of measles-rubella vaccine. This makes Vietnam become one of 25 countries worldwide that can produce the vaccine and the fourth in Asia after Japan, India and China.
The vaccine will be given to the children free of charge from the National Expanded Immunization Program in 2017.
4. Robot-assisted surgery for adults
For the very first time, Binh Dan Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City performed robot-assisted surgery for adults on December 10. The robotic system helps increase the accuracy of the operation while patients lose less blood and will feel less pain. The procedures reduce the chance of post-operation complications.
In 2013, Vietnam National Hospital of Pediatrics in Hanoi used this system for children.
5. 81.3 percent of the country’s population bought medical insurance in 2016, exceeding the the goal for 2016 which was set at 79 percent. As of November 30, there are 75,160,311 people joined purchased insurance or the rate of insurance coverage equals to 81.3 percent.
6. The Ministry of Health’s Administrative Reform Index jumped from 17th out of 19 ministries in 2015 to 8th out of 19 ministries in the Index this year.
7. The plan to build and expand local health networks including medical facilities in districts, communes and villages was approved by the prime minister for the period 2016-2025,
8. Medical workers’ salary was added in treatment and examination service charges
Hospital charges have increased as government has included medical workers’ salary into medical fee. However, it just applied for health insurance patients in 32 cities and provinces as per the government’s road map for public service adjustment.
9. A common code list for healthcare management and health insurance services was implemented to connect between hospitals and insurance company. It aims to facilitate patients’ examination and treatment procedure in paying insurance.
10. Vietnam was elected to the executive board of World Health Organization for the 2016-2019 term.