Neonate dies of digestive infection shock not vaccine

The Department of Preventive Medicine under the Ministry of Health yesterday said that the 4 month old baby in the southern province of Dong Nai died due to digestive infection shock not because of vaccine.

The scientific council for vaccine complication was set up right after the report of the case. The council including experts from Pasteur Institute and doctors from the Children Hospital No.2 convened a meeting to check immunization procedure and the cause of the death of the 4 month old neonate in Bau Ham commune in Thong Nhat District in Dong Nai Province.

The baby was July 7 immunized with Quinvaxem, which is used to prevent five commons, potentially fatal childhood diseases: diphtheria (D), tetanus (T), pertussis (P, whooping cough), hepatitis B (HepB), and Haemophilus influenza type b (Hib).at the medical center Bau Ham.

After the vaccination, he was kept 30 minutes as per the regulation and at that time he was still healthy,

Until 11.30 pm on the same day, he turned blue and fatigue; he was soon taken to the General Hospital Dau Giay where he was put on ventilator. Later he was tranfered to Long Khanh General Hospital and the Children Hospital in Dong Nai Province where he stopped breathing though he received intensive treatment.

23 other neonates had been vaccinated the same lot vaccine at medical center Bau Ham on the day with the unlucky baby. They are all in good condition.

By Khanh Nguyen - Translated by Anh Quan

Other news