218 workers at the Japanese IRISO Electronics Company in Tan Truong Industrial Park in the northern province of Hai Duong suffered food poisoning after eating meals at the company café on July 6.
Amongst those affected were pregnant women. 26 workers showed serious symptoms like fever, stomach ache, nausea and diarrhea and were rushed to the General Hospital in district Cam Giang.
Pham Duy Tien, chief of the province Department of Food Safety and Hygiene, said that more than 20 workers have been discharged from the hospital. Soon after the incident, health authorities took food samples from the company café for testing, to verify the cause.
According to initial investigations, the culprit seems to be the toxic vegetables that the workers consumed in their meal.