Many tourists on summer vacation in Da Lat City in the central highlands province of Lam Dong were suddenly taken ill after eating in some restaurants in the city on June 3-4, complaining of pain in the stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.
The General Hospital in Lam Dong Province reported that 120 people in all were suffering from food poisoning.
The tourists had arrived from Ho Chi Minh City and the Mekong delta province of Tien Giang in five different tourist groups and had eaten meals in some restaurants in the city.
Nguyen Thi Hoang Phuong from HCMC said her 30-member tourist group was staying in CD hotel but had a meal in TD restaurant. Soon after the meal, seven of them were hospitalized for severe food poisoning on June 4.
Thirty teachers of pre-school 6 in HCMC were staying in hotel H.A.D and had lunch and dinner in two restaurants P.N and N.H. They complained of pain in the stomach and ten of them were rushed to hospital on June 3 for emergency treatment. Three female teachers suffered severe food poisoning and had to stay longer in hospital.
Ho Nhat Quang, a tourist from Tien Giang Province said he and 44 others had arrived in Da Lat on June 2 and ate in three different restaurants, so were unable to identify which one was the cause. He and 19 others were taken to a local hospital while those suffering a mild infection took medication from nearby pharmacies.
The Department of Health and the Department of Preventive Medicine in Da Lat City questioned all the victims for more information on the case. Dr. Nguyen Van Thanh, head of the Department of Health, said that tourists from three different groups had meals at T. C. restaurant in Bao Lam district in Lam Dong province. Later, they also enjoyed meals in six other restaurants.
Health workers collected food samples from six restaurants for testing. Dr. Thanh said this had been the biggest case of food poisoning in Da Lat so far. Those affected with mild food poisoning have been discharged from hospital.