Vietnamese man bitten by rattle-snake

A 52 year old man in the Mekong delta province of Tra Vinh has been hospitalized because his tongue and face were bitten by a rattle snake while drinking rice wine in his front yard, said the 121 Military Hospital in Can Tho.

L.V.L is treated in the infirmary (Photo:SGGP)

L.V.L., 52, a local in Cau Ke District, was rushed to the hospital when tongue, face and hand were swollen and had breathing problem and increased mucus production.

Additionally, he had blood disorder. His relative told doctors that he was drinking when a grass snake bit his hand. He snatched the animal and his tongue was bitten when he took a closer look at the animal.

The man was immediately brought to the 121 Military Hospital for emergency care.

Doctors in the infirmary performed an emergency tracheostomy on the patient in order to allow him to breathe before injecting snake antivenoms and applying antihistamines, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, and anti-clotting medications.

After injecting 18 jars of antivenins, the wounds stopped bleeding and he no longer suffered blood disorder.

After six days of treatment, his condition was basically stabilized yet he was kept in the infirmary for further treatment.

Before, the hospital admitted a 37 year old pregnant with the pregnancy of 37 weeks from Cai Rang District of the Mekong delta City of Can Tho who was bitten by a venomous green snake with a red tail when she chopped down trees to cook.

Medical workers were quickly injected snake antivenoms and applied antihistamines, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, and anti-clotting medications. At the same time surgeons performed C-section to take out her baby.

By Le Phuong – translated by Uyen Phuong

Other news