Twenty-five workers in the northern mountainous province of Lao Cai suffered food poisoning yesterday after eating horse blood curd.
Dr. Nguyen Hai Son, deputy head of the General Hospital No.1 in Lao Cai, said the hospital had admitted 25 workers for treatment of stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
The victims admitted to having an evening meal of fried horsemeat, horse blood curd, boiled duck, fresh vegetables, fried cucumber and horse offal. The horse blood curd had been prepared earlier in the day, which had fermented and caused food poisoning.
The workers were treated in hospital and their condition is now stable.