Crack down on crime, social disorder in HCMC: Dep. PM

Addressing a meeting of City leaders on January 28 to discuss security concerns ahead of Tet Lunar New Year holiday season, Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc said that it is a matter of grave urgency to crack down on crime and anti-social activities to ensure a peaceful life in the City.

The City has launched a campaign to battle crime since December 15, and so far has reported 688 criminal cases, a decrease of 103 cases compared to the previous month.

To further prevent crime, 34 mobile police teams are circulating in various areas to catch criminals and stop harassment of citizens and tourists.

The People’s Committee is coordinating with eight neighboring provinces in the South on ways to catch criminals and prevent would-be crimes.

For the very first time, the High Command of Mobile Police Force is assisting the City with personnel and City police have liaised with army forces to patrol streets.

Le Minh Tri, Vice Chairman of HCMC People's Committee, was concerned with police flocking the downtown areas after rampant crimes of theft in outlying districts were reported.

Deputy Minister of Public Security, Lieutenant General Le Quy Vuong, said the City has to maintain the campaign or criminals will act again, adding that the Ministry of Public Security will mobilize all forces, including students, at police training institutes and colleges in the quest to fight crime.

The Ministry of Public Security will post on its website thousands of wanted criminals to receive tip-offs from the public, said Vuong.

The ministry ordered city leaders to look out for protection rackets as residents will wonder whether police are uncovering crimes or crooks out to harass citizens.

Party secretaries, ward chairpersons and chief of police stations will be held accountable for crimes in their area under their jurisdiction, said Phuc.

By Duong Loan – Translated by Uyen Phuong

Other news

Most view

At Thieu Duong Commune in Thanh Hoa province -Photo: SGGP

Floods leave thousands of damaged houses

Authorities from the provinces of Son La, Hoa Binh, Yen Bai, Phu Tho, Ninh Binh, Thanh Hoa Nghe An said floods brought by typhoon Bebinca killed 8 people and 2 missing. The funtional forces continued their efforts to searching for two missing.