Many visitors, hotel guests and nearly 200 staff of the five-star Sofitel Plaza Saigon Hotel on 17 Le Duan Boulevard in Ben Nghe Ward in District 1 in Ho Chi Minh City on Saturday evening, July 28, rushed onto the street in panic when a fire suddenly broke out in the premises.
|City firefighters arrived in time to put out the fire|
Sofitel Plaza Saigon is a luxury 5-star hotel in the City center, with its main entrance facing Le Duan Boulevard, close to Notre Dame Cathedral and Reunification Palace. It boasts of 275 elegant rooms and 11 suites, a swimming pool, and a fitness center.
The hotel's eight conference rooms can hold upto 450 people and the hotel’s two restaurants serve French and Mediterranean cuisines.
The fire broke out on the fourth floor at around 4pm, and local residents said they saw thick black smoke billow into the air.
Fortunately, the City fire brigade reached in time to put out the fire and there were no reports of any human casualties.
Police in District 1 have so far reason to believe that the fire could have been caused by an electric short circuit in the hotel’s air conditioning system.