HCMC wants more benefits for nation’s revolutionary families

At a meeting on February 8, the People’s Committee of Ho Chi Minh City petitioned the National Assembly Standing Committee on Social Affairs to increase the allowance of those who had served the cause of the nation’s revolution, martyrs’ families and issues that were not practically viable for these families.

Le Trong Sang, deputy director of the Department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs, said that annual allowance for such persons must be raised keeping in mind present day inflation and cost of living.

Moreover, parents and spouses of martyrs received only 80 per cent medical allowance, having to pay the remaining 20 per cent from their own pocket. All these people were old and suffering many ailments.

Furthermore, fathers of martyrs were being offered less   health insurance benefits while mothers and wives of martyrs received much more than them.

In addition, students who are exempt from paying school tuition fees are asked to pay at the beginning of the academic year and later have to apply for reimbursement of the amount. This is inconvenient for a needy family who cannot make arrangements to pay fees in advance, Sang said.

Truong Thi Mai, chairperson of NA Social Affairs Committee, lauded the city’s efforts to support these special people, promising to resolve all the related issues.

Mai also said that the city defines the poverty benchmark under VND12 million, higher than the general average income; accordingly, many of these special families lived below poverty level. She asked the city to implement a policy that will favour those who served in the cause of the nation’s revolution.

By Minh Hoa – Translated by Uyen Phuong

Other news

Most view