Traffic accidents reduced by 40% in HCMC

Nguyen Ngoc Tuong, deputy head of the Traffic Safety Board in Ho Chi Minh City said on Friday that the city had recorded only 102 traffic accident cases in the first quarter of the year, a decrease of 40 per cent over the same period last year.

HCMC reports 40 per cent drop in traffic accidents in the first quarter of 2012 (Photo: SGGP)

He stated this at a meeting chaired by Nguyen Huu Tin, vice chairman of the city People’s Committee, of 24 districts and other relevant departments to discuss traffic order and safety in the first quarter of this year.
 
According to the Traffic Safety Board, the numbers of traffic accidents as well as casualties have decreased in the first quarter of the year.

Specifically, a total of 155 traffic accident cases have occurred this year, killing 132 people and injuring 71, which are 87 less deaths and 97 less injured than during the same period last year.

Over the last three months, districts and departments have implemented their pledge to the city People’s Committee to reduce traffic accidents by 10 per cent, as well as the time frame of a 30 minute long traffic jam.

At the meeting, Mr. Tin said that the plan to deal with traffic jams is among six main programmes of the city’s Party Committee, and instructed relevant authorities to take swift action to achieve the targets.

They should clear spots where traffic accidents and congestion usually occur along 23 streets, install lane dividers along 29 streets, organise traffic flow in 27 areas and speed up construction of parking lots.

By Quoc Hung – Translated by Hai Mien

Other news