The body has been confirmed as that of the Seongchang-1's captain, identified only by his last name Oh, by his son, according to the Coast Guard. He was found lying on the mudflat at around 9:40 a.m., about 3 kilometers southwest of the accident site, with his black clothes intact, it said.
His body will be transferred to a nearby hospital morgue, according to the authorities.
The authorities have been searching the waters and nearby coasts for two missing people, including Oh, since Sunday, when a 10-ton recreational fishing vessel overturned after hitting a 336-ton tanker in the Yellow Sea. Seven people survived the accident.
The authorities said they will continue to search the area for the remaining missing person.
It was the worst tragedy involving a South Korean recreational fishing boat since a similar accident in waters near Jeju Island in September 2015. Fifteen people were killed and three went missing at that time.
The authorities have mobilized dozens of Coast Guard boats, Navy and government vessels, as well as Coast Guard and Air Force planes to search the area.
Investigators said Monday they requested arrest warrants for the tanker's captain and a crew member on charges of professional negligence resulting in death. They have been put under emergency detention for questioning.
The fishing boat was towed to the Coast Guard pier in Incheon earlier in the day. Source from the Yonhap.