Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak told the press on August 6 that the debris found near the French island La Reunion in the Indian Ocean belonged to the Malaysian Airlines MH370 airplane which went missing in March 2014.
|Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said the debris found near Reunion island belonged to the missing jet (Photo: Xinhua/VNA)|
This announcement is a major breakthrough for the international forces who have been searching for the airplane for the past 17 months and raises hope of solving one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history.
“Today, 515 days since the plane disappeared, it is with a very heavy heart that I must tell you that an international team of experts has conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion Island is indeed from MH370”, Najib Razak told reporters.
He offered thanks to the many nations, organisations and individuals who were involved in the search.
The Prime Minister reassured that Malaysia would do everything within its means to find out what happened to MH370.
Previously, French investigators declared there was a very high possibility that the debris discovered by the French Air Force belonged to MH370.
In a press conference in Paris on late August 5, French Deputy Prosecutor Serge Mackowiak announced that the debris found on La Reunion was probably from MH370, adding however that more tests needed to be done in order to prove this conclusively.
Meanwhile, Australian authorities, who led the expansive search for the aircraft, said it will continue with the search for the rest of the ill-fated plane.
Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew members, disappeared on March 8, 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
In January 2015, the Malaysian Government officially announced that the disappearance of the airplane was an accident. The passengers and crew members were declared dead.-VNA