Suicide Attack on US Embassy Convoy in Kabul

A suicide attacker drove an explosives-filled car into a US embassy convoy in the Afghan capital Kabul Monday, wounding some embassy staff and at least one child, officials said.

The attack on the road to the eastern city of Jalalabad was the first suicide bombing inside Kabul this year, after several deadly blasts last year blamed on Taliban insurgents.

"There was a vehicle-borne IED (improvised explosive device) that struck a US embassy convoy on Jalalabad Road," embassy spokesman Joe Mellot told AFP.

Investigators at blast site in Afghanistan . A suicide attacker drove an explosives-filled car into a US embassy convoy in the Afghan capital Kabul Monday

"There were some injuries, including one seriously injured who has been evacuated for treatment."

Ambassador Ronald Neumann was not in the convoy, he said.

An investigator at the scene and an eyewitness told AFP they had seen one child being taken to hospital by ambulance.

Foreign troops sealed off the road, often used by US troops travelling to the main US coalition base at Bagram outside the capital and also the route to various military bases on the outskirts of Kabul.

An AFP correspondent could see a vehicle in flames and a damaged bullet-proof, four-by-four vehicle of they type used by diplomatic missions and foreign forces in Afghanistan.

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed there had been an explosion on the busy road but had no details. The US-led coalition had no information.

There have been nine suicide bombings in Afghanistan in the past week. The Taliban has vowed a wave of such blasts this year after nearly 140 last year killed about 200 civilians and scores of Afghan and foreign security officials.

source AFP

Other news