Vietnam condemns terror attacks in downtown Jakarta, Indonesia, on January 14, which caused deaths and injuries, said Foreign Ministry Spokesman Le Hai Binh.
|A police injured in a bomb attack (Source: EPA)|
Binh made the statement on January 14 in reply to reporters’ questions on Vietnam’s response to the attacks.
“We convey our deep sympathies to the Indonesian Government and families of the victims, and we strongly believe that masterminds behind the attacks will be punished properly,” he added.
The Vietnamese Embassy in Indonesia said that once it learned of the situation, it opened a hotline – 0811 161 025 – to receive information about possible Vietnamese victims and provide support if necessary.
No Vietnamese have been reported to be killed or injured during the series of bomb attacks and gunfight so far.
Seven explosions rang out near Sarinah shopping mall while a gunfight between the attackers and police took place right in front of the mall.
The blasts came after the Islamic State issued a warning of carrying out attacks in Jakarta, national police spokesman Anton Charliyan told the press at the scene.
At least seven people were killed and 20 other were injured in the attacks, according to Jakarta police spokesman Muhammad Iqbal.-VNA