They expressed the desire with newspapers reporters a day after chairman of the Hanoi People’s Committee Nguyen Duc Chung arrived in My Duc district to work on the issue and instructed Hanoi inspectorate to comprehensively investigate the land management and use of Mieu Mon project, Senh field in Dong Tam.
On April 21, residents in Hoanh village of Dong Tam commune agreed to let reporters in after many days of fencing all ways to the village, where they have still kept the remaining of 19 officials (19 have been released), after refusing to meet anyone out of the village with inquisitive and precautious attitude.
Sai Gon Giai Phong reporters said that the villagers received them with open countenance and sincere mind. At some small tea shops, locals gathered to talk together but in their faces there were signs of tiredness and stress.
Talking to SGGP, an old man said that Dong Tam inhabitants were glad to see the Hanoi chairman instruct a comprehensive land inspection in Dong Tam to make clear ‘white and black’. If the investigation had been conducted soon, fairly and objectively, the regrettable case would have not occurred in the village.
Eighty year old Bui Van Nhac expected that city leaders to make clear things right and wrong and solve the issue with the sense of justice. If they do so, the villagers will feel satisfied and their faith will be restored whatever the outcome will be.
“The locals wished that the city’s leader will directly come to Dong Tam to see and directly listen to things having happened here.
Despite losing our faith in local authorities for the way they settled the land dispute, we have had no actions against the government or destroying anything. We all want to live in security and peace and set our minds at rest to do business and live,” he said.
Deputy head of Hoanh village Le Dinh Ba straightly pointed out the reason for the current tension, saying it had been partly caused by the biased and outward way which local authorities received and handled petitions from local people.
“Dong Tam people have had some wrong actions to oppose local authorities’ land reclamations for the last couples of days. On behalf of them, I apologize party and state leaders and hopes that the Party and State will consider the ins and outs sending us to these wrongness,” said Mr. Ba.
On the same day afternoon, 74 year old Bui Viet Hieu delegated by Dong Tam people to write and send an open letter to the chairman of the Hanoi People’s Committee.
“We, Dong Tam residents just fight against corruptions and wrongdoings. Things happening in our commune are just a dead end to call for help from the Party, the State and central agencies,” SGGP quoted the letter.
In the letter, Dong Tam residents admitted to breaking the law for being short of legal acknowledges. They hoped that the Hanoi chairman will save and help them and not conduct criminal prosecution against them.
They expect that the People’s Committee in My Duc district will stop broadcasting that Senh field is national defense land in order not to upset citizens while the issue has not been clarified.
They proposed military telecom group Viettel not to build any work in Senh field until investigation completes and final conclusion is made.
Notably, the letter refused false reports on social media that gangsters attacked local people and local people poured petrol on officials’ bodies to threaten them. Dong Tam residents don’t want the rumors to split them and all level governments.
On Friday’s morning, they released Mr. Dang Van Canh, head of the Propaganda and Education Department of My Duc district from Hoanh village cultural house because of his own health problems.
Looking tired after many days of the detainment, Mr. Canh talked to reporters, saying that he and other officials have been well taken care of during the detainment time, provided with sufficient food, water and clothes and not been beaten, threatened or reviled.