RIO DE JANEIRO, May 19, 2011 (AFP) - Former world player of the year, Brazilian veteran Ronaldo, could play several league matches for Corinthians this season despite having announced his retirement in February, club chairman Andres Sanches said Saturday.
"Ronaldo will play friendlies and could play some leagues games as well," Brazilian media quoted Sanches as saying.
Ronaldo is the highest goal scorer in the history of the World Cup - 15 in total, one more than German player Gerd Muller, while he also won the FIFA Player of the Year award three times, a feat only emulated by former Real Madrid teammate Zinedine Zidane.
Corinthians had previously only earmarked the 34-year-old for friendlies - the club have been seeking to organise gala games in the coming weeks against Inter Milan and Barcelona after the European season ends.
Corinthians hope sponsors will come up with around 2 million dollars for each of those games but Sanches clearly has designs on getting as much marketing mileage as he can in suggesting 'The Phenomenon', whose goals powered his country to the 2002 World Cup, may also feature in league action.
The Brazilian Football Confederation said in March that Ronaldo would be given a few minutes of game time in a farewell in the international shirt he wore with such distinction in a June 7 friendly in Sao Paulo against Romania.
"He'll come on in the first half, he'll play a few minutes and during the break he can make his farewells," according to national coach Mano Menezes.