World Cup court adjourns case against British reporter

CAPE TOWN, June 30, 2010 (AFP) - Magistrates in South Africa on Wednesday adjourned a case against a British journalist who is facing charges that he harboured a fan who intruded into the England team's dressing room.

Proceedings against Simon Wright, a reporter for the London-based Sunday Mirror, were put back until July 7 for further investigations, a special World Cup court in Cape Town heard.

Wright's lawyer made clear during a brief hearing that he would contest the charges and that comments by South African national police commissioner Bheki Cele had prejudiced the case.

"My client feels that there is no basis," said his attorney William Booth.

Announcing Wright's arrest on Tuesday, Cele alleged the reporter had been involved in an "orchestrated" plot to expose security flaws during the World Cup in collusion with England supporter Pavlos Joseph.

Joseph has been fined around 100 dollars after admitting being in an area without authorisation. He told the Sunday Mirror after the episode that he stumbled into the room by accident as he was searching for the toilet.

Other news