A restoration project on an ancient cannon called Bao quoc an dan dai tuong quan so 2 (Great shogun and peace protector of people No.2) kicked off in the north-central province of Ha Tinh on April 6.
|An expert restores a 19th century cannon|
The cannon is one of three, dating back to the first year of the reign of Emperor Minh Mang in 1821, which were discovered in a wreckage site at the Cam Nhuong Seagate in Cam Xuyen District in August 2003.
Each cannon weighs more than one ton and measures 2.45 meters in length. The artillery also have silver inlay and contain intricate carvings.
The restoration of the cannons is being carried out by the Vietnam History Museum, Ha Tinh Museum and artisan Tran Ngoc Tri, the deputy director of the Ho Chi Minh City jewelry vocational training school.