40 primary pupils hospitalized due to milk tea poisoning

Around 40 pupils of class 3B in Tran Phu Primary School (in the central city of Quang Ngai) were hospitalized in the Maternity – Children Hospital of the city at around 10:00am on May 21, 2018. They all had symptoms of poisoning like abdominal cramps, vomiting and nausea.

The health of the patients is more stable now

The health of the patients is more stable now

After carrying out first aid and necessary medical tests, doctors sent 19 serious cases to the tropical disease department.

At the moment, the patients’ health is quite stable and they are on their way of recovery.

According to Ms. Do Thi Thanh Liem, head teacher of class 3B, her pupils came to the class in the morning of May 21 for the year-end celebration party. Each was delivered one box of milk tea, bought by the parental association of the class from a milk tea shop on Ngo Quyen Street of Quang Ngai City.

After using the tea, the pupils had signals of abdominal cramps and those who drank much tea vomited and had high fever. They were quickly taken to hospital for examination.

Related agencies have collected samples of the supposedly poisonous milk tea from six boxes with the brand ‘U.CC’. 

Before using this tea, those pupils also ate coconut jelly cubes.

By XUAN HUYEN – Translated by Vien Hong

Other news