Doctors at Ho Chi Minh City’s Tropical Diseases Hospital have confirmed that the 23-month-old child of a woman earlier reported to be suffering from cholera, has also been stricken with the illness.
Last week, a 25-year-old female from the city’s District 8 tested positive for cholera, the first case of the disease in the city this year.
The mother was taken to hospital on April 3 after suffering from acute diarrhea, fatigue, vomiting and severe dehydration. Doctors discovered that her child was also showing symptoms of the potentially fatal disease and kept the toddler under observation at the hospital.
Medical personnel believe the pair may have contracted the bacterial illness, spread through contaminated food and drinking water, after eating food from a street stall in front of the Hong Bang Junior High School in the city’s District 5. The stall vendor is also now being tested for cholera.
HCMC sees first cholera case of 2010