Man infected with Streptococcus suis saved

Leading Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City yesterday said that doctors have saved a man infected with swine Streptococcus suis.

52 year old man from the Mekong delta province of An Giang was transferred from the general hospital in An Giang Province when he was suffering high fever, vomiting, serious headache, and half unconscious. 

Through initial diagnosis, doctors thought the patient to be infected with swine streptococcus suis; accordingly they took his fluid for testing.

Test result showed that he was positive for the Streptococcus suis, doctors soon write a prescription for course of antibiotics.

The man again fell into unconsciousness, hence, he had to use ventilator. After two day intensive treatment, the man was recovering.

Through survey, the man works for a slaughterhouse. When he was hospitalized in his hometown, he had high fever and headache for three days yet he bought medicine from nearby pharmacy for self-treatment.

Medical workers said that people can be infected with S. suis when they handle infected pig carcasses or meat, especially with exposed cuts and abrasions on their hands or people consume undercooked animal products. The rate of fatality due to Streptococcus suis is from 70 to 80 percent.

By Tuong Lam – translated by Uyen Phuong

Other news