Swine streptococcus kills one more man

One more death because of swine streptococcus bacterium was reported in the Tropical Disease Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City on September 16.

According to the Department of Preventive Medicine under the Ministry of Health, people infected with swine streptococcus are at the risk of death but every year medical clinics in the country admit hundreds cases.

Doctors at the hospital said the 35 year old man from the Mekong delta province of Ben Tre was infected with the streptococcus bacterium, which caused respiratory decline, blood contamination, and severe necrosis in their arms and legs.

Before being transferred to the Tropical Hospital in HCMC, he was treated in the province's hospital where diagnosed him to be infected with swine streptococcus bacterium.

Doctors of the city's hospital examined and confirmed the patient was shocked,  septicemia, meningitis and multiple organ failure because of swine streptococcus bacterium; accordingly, despite doctors' concerted efforts to save him, he died, said Dr. Nguyen Van Hao, head of the Intensive Unit of the hospital.

According to the patient's relative, the man might eat uncooked pig blood pudding. The hospital announced this is the third deaths because of swine streptococcus bacterium. Additionally, 7 others luckily escaped the death after receiving treatment in the hospital.

The National Tropical Diseases Hospital in Hanoi recently admitted two men infected with swine bacteria after eating raw pig’s blood. The first patient is 51 year old Vu Quang M in Hoang Mai District in Hanoi who usually drink and has pig blood pudding. Later he suffered breathing problem and fever. He was hospitalized only when his legs have blood spots.

The National Tropical Diseases Hospital said that it has admitted hundreds cases infected with swine bacterium every year and many of them died because of multiple organ failure. People contract Swine bacterium through directly contact with the animal or eat uncooked pig meats and they are at high risk of death, said Dr. Tran Dac Phu, head of the Department of Preventive Medicine.

To avoid the swine bacterium, the Department of Preventive Medicine warned farms to clean farms and wash hands and body with soap carefully after contact with the animal. People should absolutely eat uncooked pig blood pudding or pig products.

By Tuong Lam - translated by Uyen Phuong

Other news