Air control watchdog imposes discipline on team for pausing with air traffic controller

In its report to the Transport Minister Truong Quang Nghia, the Vietnam Air Traffic Management Corporation (VATM) has imposed penalties on team and individuals in Cat Bi Airport for irresponsibility of air traffic control.

Cat Bi Air Traffic Controlling office in Hai Phogn Province (Photo: SGGP)

As per the report, VATM has issued warning to leaders of the air traffic controlling office in Cat Bi Airport in the northern province of Hai Phong for not finishing duty, leading to the incident. Secretary of Party unit in the office Nguyen Chi Manh was removed from the post for irresponsible behavior.

Party member Nguyen Van Chanh received warning for violating labor discipline and leaving the duty without report. Party member Luong Van Binh was criticized for irresponsibility in monitoring as a deputy head of the air traffic controlling station.

Deputy Head of the Northern Air Traffic Management Nguyen Duc Hieu and head of the safety Room of the Northern Air Traffic Management Nguyen Tien Thanh were reprimanded for not finishing the duty.

Additionally, Luong Thi Minh Thu was transferred to different duty and her salary was reduced for violating labor regulation. Nguyen Van Chanh who will get retired on July 1, 2017 was reprimanded for violating the working regulation. 

VATM also said in its report that it convened an online meeting with the Central, the Southern Air Traffic Management and others nationwide to withdraw the lesson from the incident for flight safety. In the meeting, safety measures and methods to maintain labor discipline were discussed by unscheduled inspection.

Before on March 9, Vietjet flight VJ921 bound for Seoul and flight VJC292 bound for Ho Chi Minh City were unable to contact the Cat Bi air traffic controllers though the captains of the two flight said that they tried to contact the Cat Bi air traffic controllers 39 times but they never replied.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam carried out its investigation into the case Investigations which revealed that on the night of March 9, the chief command was asleep while the assistant controller was absent.

The two controllers had been fined VND7.5 million (US$335) each and had their working license suspended for two months.

By Bich Quyen – translated by Uyen Phuong

Other news