Sixth fatality sparks new safety inquest into Vietnam’s tallest building

The Hanoi City People’s Committee March 3 announced that another investigation will be launched into labor safety practices at the Keangnam Hanoi Landmark Tower after an engineer was crushed to death at the building’s construction site last month.

The construction site of the Keangnam Hanoi Landmark Tower(Photo: VNN)

The fatal accident was the sixth in the past few months at the tower, set to be the tallest in Vietnam once completed.

Inspectors from the Hanoi Department of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs; Department of Construction; and Tu Liem District Police will work over a period of 30 days to carry out this latest investigation.

Phan Dang Tho, chief inspector of the Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs, said that his sector’s inspectors had conducted inquiries after each of the accidents at the tower.  

Following each inspection, investigators repeatedly found labor safety violations and had ordered the tower’s contractors and South Korean investor, the Keangnam Vina Company, to address them, said Mr. Tho.

Hanoi police have said charges will be laid in this latest fatality if criminal negligence is found.

Related article:
Hanoi skyscraper claims sixth victim

By Van Phuc – Translated by Hai Mien

Other news