The trial of Nguyen Huu Chanh, who plotted acts of terrorism against Viet Nam will take place this Friday in Ho Chi Minh City, presiding judge Bui Hoang Danh of the HCMC People’s Court said at a press meeting today. The Supreme People’s Procuracy has authorized the supervisory role to the HCMC People’s Court.
Seven internees, who are Nguyen Huu Chanh’s accomplices, will be prosecuted at the court.
Three are American Vietnamese (Nguyen Thuong Cuc, 58, a.k.a. Foshee Thuong Nguyen in America; Huynh Bich Lien, 51; and Le Van Binh, 31) and the others are Vietnamese (Cao Tri, 35; Tran Dat Phuong, 65; Ho Van Giau, 53; and Ho Van Hien, 36).
Nguyen Huu Chanh is under an international arrest warrant issued by the Vietnamese Ministry of Public Security. Therefore, the Supreme People’s Procecuracy has decided to suspend the judgment on him.
The indictment of the Supreme People’s Procuracy said Vietnamese-born US citizen Chanh, who called himself head of a US-based organization named “Government of Free Vietnam”, organized to send people to Viet Nam in 1997 to undertake terrorist activities with explosive at public places and big works such as Lotus statuary, statue of late President Ho Chi Minh in Can Tho and Ho Chi Minh cities.
The group brought to Viet Nam 23 kilograms of explosive, 19 detonators, grenades, and over 10,000 propagandizing leaflets to terrorize and undermine the country.
Chanh and his group continued to bomb the Vietnamese embassy in Thailand and the Philippines in mid-2001.
They also plotted to use radio broadcast of the Voice of Viet Nam and localities to call upon people to overthrow the Vietnamese government early last year.
At the press meeting, Mr.Danh said, “The trial will take place properly according to regulations and the hearing will ensure to judge correctly, and carry out humanitarian policies of the Party and Viet Nam.”