JAKARTA, April 8, 2011 (AFP) - Indonesian Football executives have filed a lawsuit against the government for refusing to acknowledge them and locking them out of their office, their lawyer said Friday.
"We've filed the lawsuit on Thursday at the Administrative Court in Jakarta. We want the court to void the government’s decisions," Sitor Situmorang, a lawyer for executives from the football association (PSSI) told AFP.
The Sports Ministry and the State Secretariat previously said they no longer acknowledge PSSI chairman Nurdin Halid and secretary general Nugraha Besoes and have banned them from their rented offices at the Bung Karno Sports Complex.
Situmorang has previously said that the sports minister does not have the power to instantly freeze the leadership of the chairman and secretary general.
"The chairman and secretary general were elected by congress members, so they could only be sacked by the congress. They are not servants of the minister," Situmorang said.
The PSSI executives have been considered as failing to gain control of the rebel Indonesian Premier League (LPI) -- established without PSSI involvement -- and to set up a congress to elect an electoral commission.
The FIFA Emergency Committee concluded on April 1 that the PSSI leadership had lost all credibility within Indonesia and it decided that a "Normalisation Committee" was needed to take over from the current executives.
Indonesia's national team has enjoyed a surge of interest in the country of nearly 240 million people, winning second place in the AFF Suzuki Cup championship in January.