The dispatch said following the information released on October 27, hundreds of students of two elementary schools in Nga Bay Town had been admitted to a local hospital after having the drink of dairy product gratis from the program.
Accordingly, the dispatch said that to prevent mass poisoning likewise, it decided the halt of the program in all schools in Can Tho City from October 27.
On the same day, the Department of Education and Training also sent its document asking primary schools to stop free milk drink program until test results are declared.
Upon the mass poisoning in Hau Giang Province after drinking milk, senior lieutenant-colonel Lam Phuoc Nguyen, deputy chief of Hau Giang Police Station, said that inspector raided the warehouse of M.C Advertising Service Company in My Hoa Village in Cay Duong Town.
The Milo products were manufactured by Nestlé Vietnam yet the firm authorized M.C Company to carry out the program.
Inspectors found 413 Milo powdered packets of Milo and some 1,300 cans of condensed milk, all of which have not reached expiration dates. The M.C Company mixed the two milk products to provide for students on October 27. Inspectors sealed all dairy products for further investigation.
Head of Hau Giang Province’s Food Safety Department Le Van Khoi said as per document of the Department of Health, M.C Company would have to provide one kind of Milo milk yet in reality, it mixed the two dairy products for students.
Next, the company did not boil the water for mixing milk products. Moreover, the warehouse is far from schools; milk was not kept well during transportation resulting in poisoning.
As a result, provincial leaders urged to cease the program and directed competent agencies to probe the origin and quality of milk as well as conservation and transportation.